Named after local rivers, three Manning Wardle 2-6-2 tank locomotives were supplied to the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway when it opened in 1897. It was soon realised that the three locomotives could not handle all the line’s traffic and they were joined, in 1898, by Lyn, the Baldwin 2-4-2T. During their careers the original locomotives received a number of modifications, including the removal of the motion covers in about 1903 and the cutting back of the cabs in 1913 because of poor visibility. When the line was absorbed by the Southern Railway in 1923, a further example, Lew, was ordered from Manning Wardle. Alas, with the closure of the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 1935 all the older engines were scrapped, only Lew survived to be shipped abroad and never seen again.
The model is electrically powered, 0 – 24V DC. The engine is gauge adjustable for either 32mm (‘0’ gauge) or 45mm (‘1’ gauge) – all the parts for this are supplied with the model. This operation can be undertaken by the owner and only takes a few minutes. The loco is supplied with blanking plates for the cut-outs in the frames but these are really for display only, severely restricting the choice of track curvature if used in operation. The electric version of the locomotive features full backhead detail in the cab. The model is built from stainless steel and brass, and with the correct maintenance, will give a lifetime of pleasure.